Sunday, June 10, 2012

FIRE IN THE HOUSE

My advice to all renters - get renter's insurance.

Last Friday I arrived home to utter devastation.  The apartment adjoning mine had caught fire and the flames spread through the attic.

None of my belongings burned, but there is no longer a roof and now the ceilings are falling in and taking out other things as they fall. the rush of water and soot flooding down the stairs from the fire hoses buried and broke many items. 

Lots of what I have might be okay, but the fire dept covered much of the furniture downstairs with a tarp. At present I have no place to put things, so I am learning a minimalist existence.

I realized this morning how much my belongins define me. Having almost nothing left me feeling very naked and vulnerable. I know I am more than what I own, but this morning that truth was not evident.

No comments:

Post a Comment